Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Essay: Would you rather hitch a ride with a conservative or a liberal?

Information and comments on the essay:


Would you rather hitch a ride with a conservative or a liberal?

From the book: Chum for Thought: Throwing Ideas into Dangerous Waters by David Satterlee

Find out more, including where to buy books and ebooks


Chum For Thought:
Throwing Ideas into Dangerous Waters

Would you rather hitch a ride with a conservative or a liberal?

It was getting late on a cold Iowa afternoon when I stopped for a hitchhiker on an empty stretch of two-lane highway. 

After putting his three heavy bags into the back, settling in, and thanking me, he told a story about a conservative town down the road that had confiscated his companion dog of 3-years and refused to release it without a $100 ransom that he couldn’t afford.

He asked me why I had picked him up. I said, “Well, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about politics recently and about the differences between liberals and conservatives. I’ve become absolutely certain that we’re all in this together and it really bothers me when people take the attitude that as long as they get theirs, everybody else can go to heck.” 

He replied, “Yeah, I figured you were a good guy when I saw your Obama bumper sticker.”

No comments:

Post a Comment