Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Analysis of the Creative Process

Information and comments on the story:
Analysis of the Creative Process

from the book: Life Will Get You in the End:
Short stories by David Satterlee

Find out more, including where to buy books and ebooks

Read or download this story as a PDF file at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4eNv8KtePyKZnhHQm12TU94eVE/edit?usp=sharing

Life Will Get You in the End:
Short Stories by David Satterlee
A retired engineer comes to terms with typing his literary criticism papers himself. A creative student of literary analysis takes a break from writing yet another lame-ass paper to throw a private hissy-fit. 

      Analysis of the Creative Process

      I had a pen.

      I learned my subject thoroughly across many years. I knew it well and could recite details and essential relationships at will; and often did so at salons with my peers. I ordered my thoughts and wrote cleanly, revising my first draft at least once.

      My assistant had a typewriter.

      I was knowledgeable in my field. After my first draft, she typed it up double spaced. I marked it up, inserting, deleting, drawing arrows, and making notes in the margin. She continued retyping drafts until I was satisfied with the result.

      I had a word processor.

      I knew my subject well enough. I launched in, doing additional research as I went. I inserted, deleted, and moved anything anytime until it was “right.” Each “draft” morphed continuously into the next. I nipped and tucked and, when it was done, I read it out loud to catch the final dumb stuff.

      I had a turtle.

       He was a strange and wonderful creature. I took him apart to see how he was built. He was still strange but not so wonderful. I glued him back together but I did not like him anymore.

      I have examined the great music.

      Analysis shows that great music conforms to certain forms and obeys certain rules. I wrote some music. I conformed to the forms and obeyed the rules. It was not very good. I think that maybe the great composers broke rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment