Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Small Collection of Limericks

Information and comments on the story:

A Small Collection of Limericks

Life Will Get You in the End:
Short Stories by David Satterlee

from the book: Life Will Get You in the End:
Short stories by David Satterlee

Find out more, including where to buy books and ebooks

Read or download this story as a PDF file at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4eNv8KtePyKZEJ0WnVaR3dHRTA/edit?usp=sharing

My wife, Dianna, was teaching a unit on poetry to fifth-graders and thought that I should come and give them a talk on cinquains and limericks. I knew that I could do some real damage with limericks; but, cinquains? So, I started by looking up the word "cinquain." Boy, what a pro!


A Small Collection of Limericks

These were written for Mrs. Satterlee’s 5th grade class as a contrast to the cinquains that they were studying.

I see you’ve a very nice playground
With swings and a ball field and go-round.
But I’d prefer recess
If someone could posses
A nice little puppy blue tick hound.

There once was a school in the mountains
That added some pretty new fountains.
They put in some fishes
And threw coins for wishes,
That they wouldn’t see any shark fins.
[This one was hard because mountains and fountains are the ONLY two “-ountain” words in English and I needed another one for the 5th line. So, I settled for a one-syllable match with ‘-ins” and actually managed to make it humerous.]

I think I saw sharks in the fish pond;
A shark fin just flashed ‘neath a fern frond.
If I splashed in that place
I’d be gone with no trace
‘cept a yelp that just lasted a second.

There once was a Doctor named Clark
With hair that glowed red in the dark.
She’d even breath fire
If she found out a liar
And feed them to her captive shark.
[Okay, I think we got away with that one at the time. Dr. Clark was the authoritarian, red-headed principal. But she has moved on to other work and Mrs. Satterlee has retired and moved out of state, so I’m not even going to try for a rhyming pseudonym.]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment