Translate

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Poem: Gathering Courage

Information and comments on the story:

Gathering Courage

Life Will Get You in the End:
Short Stories by David Satterlee

from the book: Life Will Get You in the End:
Short stories by David Satterlee

Find out more, including where to buy books and ebooks

Read or download this story as a PDF file at: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4eNv8KtePyKN1czdU1RdVdoTDQ/edit?usp=sharing

A decent proposal. A young man ponders the anxiety he may feel when it comes time to, someday, pop the question.


Gathering Courage

Standing on the corner,
Passing time away,
I think of all the times we’ll meet
And all the things we’ll say.

I think of sitting close to you
And watching the moon rise.
We’ll let the world just pass us by
What fools could be more wise?

I’ll hold you close and speak your name
Until we rise and all can see
That what they once had thought was one
Was really you and me.

I’ll care for you and make you mine
And we will vow our need.
Will share a love that only gives
And never takes in greed.

I think of what I need to live—
How I’d give all that I claim
To have you for my own to love
And have you share my name.
                             February 28, 1972
 

No comments:

Post a Comment